Bed and Breakfast
Batterby House is a 21-room Victorian in the Queen Anne style. Built in 1900, it was designed by architect M.J. O'Connor as a rectory. It subsequently served as a convent for the sisters of St. Mary's Academy. In the 1930's the convent was converted into a single-family home, then apartments. The building underwent extensive renovation and restoration in the early 2000's. Fortunately nearly all of the original detail that had been removed over the years had been stored away in the basement and back studio. A treasure trove of doors, woodwork, trim, moldings, locks, hinges, doorknobs, and leaded glass panels were re-installed or used for other aspects of the restoration. The house features beautiful parquet floors throughout, leaded glass, stained glass, an imposing mahogany stairway, five fireplaces, pocket-doors, 10-foot ceilings and even the original wooden ice boxes in the basement.
Named after our trusty vintage concrete elephant, Batterby, who was found in a local Hudson antique shop, Batterby House balances the history of our home by combining hand-selected furnishings and decor from the Victorian and Edwardian eras with mid century modern and contemporary pieces, and elements from local Hudson Valley makers. Batterby House was previously known as The Country Squire Bed & Breakfast.